Hurricane Turning Tools Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) Grinding Wheels 8" Diameter - 1.0" Wide, 5/8" Arbor - 180 and 80 Grit 2 Pack
We would like to introduce you to the state of the art in bench grinding, Hurricane Series II Aluminum core CBN plated grinding wheels. Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) is a man-made crystalline material which is one of the hardest materials in the world. It is just slightly below Diamond on the hardness scale. CBN grinding wheels have been used in manufacturing processes for many years and are now available for common bench grinders. CBN crystals are electroplated on to a precision aluminum grinding wheel substrate resulting in the finest grinding wheels available today. CBN wheels outperform common stone wheels in many ways.Features:
- Series II wheels are made from an aluminum core, which is lighter in weight than steel and will run smoother on all grinders
- Ideal for sharpening woodturning tools (High Speed Steel only)
- Designed for use with bench type grinders; 1800 RPM (Preferred) or 3600 RPM
- Wheel diameter does not change over time; CBN material is on the face and sides (1/4") of the wheel
- Balanced in the manufacturing process and never need "Truing" or "Dressing"
- 80 and 180 Grit Combo Pack
- They can make an inexpensive grinder perform almost as well as an industrial grinder
- Visit this page for CBN Grinding Wheels Instruction Sheet .
Hurricane Turning Tools is a premium brand of tools and accessories meeting the needs of woodturners and woodworkers. Hurricane Tools include woodturning tools, wood lathe chucks and jaws, drill bits and Hurricane Abrasives. Hurricane products are made in the USA and throughout the world, balancing the need for both high performance and affordable products.091719
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Just upgraded a "cheap" slow speed grinder and it runs so much smoother. No balancing, no fuss, no muss. Quick grind and tools are ready to go! Pair it with a Wolverine jig and be ready to turn with sharp tools.
I was concerned at first as the wheels run true on the diameter but wobble on plane about ,03 inch but once up to speed a touch of a tool to the wheel remains true and does not bounce. I am pleased with the wheels and they very quickly produce a sharp edge. The grit is more aggressive then the size would indicate and some hand honing is required to bring the edge to final focus. If I had a choice I would mount a 180 and 280 grit combo on my grinder to produce an edge and use a 80 grit stone wheel on another grinder for reshaping. The corners of the wheels are sharp so you must use good technique to put a chip breaker radius on the tope of the tool. The sharp edge is superior for split pointing a drill! I am using HSS tools to work metal on a lathe and hand resharpening large bore drill bits. Overall these are nice wheels and I am very pleased with their performance. It would be really nice if one corner of the 180 grit wheel were sharp and the other had a .06 radius
This is a great deal on the best CBN wheels on the market.